South Sudanese army ‘getting away with murder’

0
309
This picture taken on December 25, 2013 shows South Sudanese troops loyal to President Salva Kiir pictured at Bor airport after they re-captured it from rebel forces. South Sudan's army battled rebel forces in the key town of Malakal Wednesday, a minister said, as other troops flushed out remaining insurgent pockets a day after recapturing a strategic town. "We recaptured Bor on Tuesday evening, just before sunset, and this morning there are currently operations against some pockets of rebels within the airport area," Information Minister Michael Makwei told. AFP PHOTO/Samir BOL (Photo credit should read SAMIR BOL/AFP/Getty Images)
Advertisement

Tens of thousands of people in western South Sudan have been forced to flee killings, gang-rape, torture and other abuses by government soldiers, leaving entire neighbourhoods empty, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said last month.

It said South Sudanese soldiers were “getting away with murder” and called for government to halt abuses and support creation of a war crimes court to investigate and prosecute.

Attacks on Fertit civilians in and around the town of Wau in the Western Bahr el Ghazal region surged in December following a deployment of soldiers from the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) to the region, HRW said, adding that most were from the Dinka ethnic group.

The soldiers looted and burned down homes and unlawfully detained Fertit men, HRW said. The abuses continued into the spring despite the local authorities reporting the attacks to the army and government officials, it added.

“With all eyes on the new national unity government in Juba, government soldiers have been literally getting away with murder in the country’s western regions,” HRW’s Africa director Daniel Bekele said in a statement.

Fighting erupted in the country in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir sacked his first vice president Riek Machar, triggering ethnically charged clashes that the United Nations says have killed thousands and forced more than 2.3 million to flee.

Under pressure from the US, the UN and other powers, both sides signed a peace deal in August, but it broke down repeatedly.

Kiir named a new “national unity” cabinet in late April, including former rebels and members of the opposition, after Machar returned to Juba and regained his old job.
HRW researchers who visited Wau in April said several Fertit neighbourhoods remained largely empty.

“They collected our things and burned our houses,” a 42-year-old man told HRW, describing an attack by some 30 soldiers on Ngumba village. “Those who resisted or could not move were killed. My grandmother tried to flee and was shot.”

In one attack, a man was forced to watch as soldiers gang-raped his 60-year old aunt.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here