Siaya Governor James Orengo has claimed his life is in danger following the withdrawal of his security detail, accusing the government of using intimidation tactics against leaders critical of President William Ruto’s administration.
Speaking during an interview with Citizen TV on Thursday, Orengo revealed that nine security officers attached to him in Nairobi and Siaya counties were recalled on Tuesday evening without explanation, leaving him vulnerable amid growing concerns over political violence.
“I’m worried about it, but I’m not intimidated,” Orengo said.
The governor warned that Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja should be held personally responsible if any harm befalls him.
“So if something happens to me, or if I’m attacked by goons like Osotsi was attacked, I’ll hold the IG responsible.”
Orengo linked the withdrawal of his security to his outspoken criticism of the Kenya Kwanza administration and his involvement in the Linda Mwananchi movement, a faction within the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) that has openly opposed President Ruto’s leadership and rejected his bid for a second term.
The veteran politician claimed the move was politically motivated and intended to silence him over his continued criticism of the high cost of living, rising fuel prices, police brutality and the country’s growing debt burden.
“I will not be intimidated,” Mr Orengo maintained.
In a protest letter dated May 20 and addressed to the Inspector General, the governor described the withdrawal of officers stationed at his Nairobi residence and other locations as abrupt, unlawful and unprocedural.
“As a State Officer under the Constitution of Kenya, the provision of security is not a privilege or a discretionary favour. It is a statutory entitlement designed to facilitate the execution of official mandates without fear of compromise or harm,” he said.
- Vihiga senator Osotsi airlifted to Nairobi after Kisumu attack
- Why police, politicians must not use goons to counter protests
Orengo demanded an official explanation for the withdrawal and called for the immediate reinstatement or replacement of his security officers.
The governor further linked the incident to what he described as a wider pattern of harassment targeting him and his allies. He cited the recent attack on Vihiga Senator Godfrey Osotsi in Kisumu and recalled his own confrontation with alleged goons during a funeral in Seme.
He also referenced the assassinations of former minister Tom Mboya and former MP J.M. Kariuki, arguing that withdrawal of security from political leaders could expose them to serious danger.
“Mboya was killed in broad daylight in Nairobi because his security detail was not with him. J.M was abducted in the middle of this town because he had no security with him,” he said.
Orengo additionally claimed that several members of his staff, including his communications officer and bodyguard, were arrested earlier this year under what he termed mysterious circumstances shortly before President Ruto’s visit to Siaya County.
According to the governor, the arrests coincided with preparations for a planned Linda Mwananchi rally in Nairobi, where organisers intended to unveil what they described as a parallel report on the implementation of the agreement between President Ruto and ODM leader Raila Odinga.
“This egregious conduct on the part of the police has no place in a constitutional democracy. This is meant to intimidate and harass us, but it will not deter us from continuing with our cause,” said Mr Orengo.
Copies of the protest letter were reportedly forwarded to the Interior Ministry, the Council of Governors and the Siaya County Police Commander.
Neither the National Police Service nor the government had publicly responded to the allegations by the time of publication.

