Author: Special Correspondent

Riot police patrolled Nairobi on Tuesday morning as young activists called for more protests following last week’s deadly clashes. Members of the protest movement, which has no official leaders and largely organises via social media, have rejected appeals from President William Ruto for dialogue, even after he abandoned proposed tax hikes. Infuriated by the deaths last week – at least 39 according to the government-funded Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNHCR) – many are now demanding that Ruto step down. “We are determined to push for the president’s resignation,” Ojango Omondi, an activist in Nairobi, said. “We hope for…

Read More

At least four deaths have been confirmed within the Hillo mining areas in Moyale Sub-county of Marsabit county in the past four days as the authorities strive to ward off the illegal mining activity. Moyale Deputy County Commissioner (DCC) Benedict Munyoki told KNA that unauthorized miners in their hundreds have flocked the area and they were trying to access the prohibited gold mines. Munyoki added that some managed to sneak to the operation area and started excavating for the precious mineral, leading to four deaths after the mines caved in. The DCC said three people died on the wee hours…

Read More

US Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken has called President William Ruto to discuss the security situation in Kenya following widespread protests over the Finance Bill, 2024. On Wednesday, June 26, President William Ruto said he had conceded to public demand and would not be signing the Bill into law. “Having reflected on the continuing conversation around the content of the Finance Bill, 2024, I will decline to assent to the Bill,” President Ruto said in a televised address to the country. “I also propose that within 14 days, a multi-sectoral, multi-stakeholder engagement be held with a view to charting…

Read More

The National Assembly has endorsed the Defence Council’s request to deploy the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) amidst nationwide protests against the Finance Bill. As per the Supplementary Order Paper dated Wednesday, June 26, this deployment aligns with Article 241 of the Constitution, mandating parliamentary approval for KDF deployments. Following the Defence Council’s request on Wednesday, the motion was subsequently presented to Parliament. “THAT, pursuant to Article 241(3)(c) of the Constitution and sections 31(1)(b), 31(1)(c) and 32 of the Kenya Defence Forces Act, Cap. 199, this House accedes to the request of the Defence Council dated 26th June 2024 and, in…

Read More

Former Amukura Central Member of the County Assembly Moses Pius Ouma alias Mose Baaba and three others were today charged in Malaba Court for malicious damage to property during last week’s anti-tax protests. The accused appeared before Malaba Principal Magistrate Ocharo Momanyi where they denied the charge. Mose Baaba, Francis Munyasi, Peter Elungata, and Stephen Edolore Emusala also denied the second charge of causing harm to St Jacob’s Kaliwa Secondary School driver, Evans Okwara. The four were released on a cash-bail of Sh5000 each and were directed to appear in court for the hearing on July 3. They were arrested…

Read More

Sections of Kenya’s parliament were on fire on Tuesday as protesters overwhelmed police to storm the compound where lawmakers had just passed a contentious bill that would introduce a raft of new taxes. At least 50 people were injured by gunfire, a paramedic outside parliament said, as police clashed with hundreds of demonstrators. In chaotic scenes, protesters overwhelmed police and chased them away in an attempt to storm the parliament compound. Flames could be seen coming from inside. Police opened fire after tear gas and water cannon failed to disperse the crowds. A Reuters journalist counted the bodies of at…

Read More

First 400 police officers for the United Nations Peace Mission in Haiti flagged off President William Ruto on Monday flagged-off the first 400 group of police officers for the United Nations peace mission in Haiti. The President expressed confidence that the Kenyan contingent, together with others from contributing countries, will help in returning lasting peace in the conflict-ravaged Haiti. Speaking at the National Police College, Embakasi Campus in Nairobi, President Ruto told the officers that they were selected for the peace mission on the basis of their integrity, professionalism and capabilities. He handed the peace mission the Kenyan flag during…

Read More

President William Ruto has expressed his willingness to engage in “a conversation” with thousands of young protesters who held nationwide demonstrations last week to oppose proposed tax increases. The protesters, who began their demonstrations on Tuesday, say the administration of Dr Ruto has gone back on its pledge to reduce taxes and lower the cost of living. Organised on social media and led largely by young Kenyans who livestreamed the demonstrations, the protests caught Ruto’s government off-guard, as discontent mounts over his economic policies. “I am very proud of our young people… they have stepped forward peaceful[ly] and I want…

Read More

Eyeball-scanning cryptocurrency startup WorldCoin is gearing up for the resumption of operations in Kenya after the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) closed its investigation into the company. Local media reported on Thursday that the ODPP had instructed the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) to drop the probe into allegations of illegal data collection and transfer by the firm, as no criminal charges were substantiated against the firm. In a letter dated June 14 addressed to Coulson Harney the firm’s legal representative, the DCI said that the chief prosecutor had directed the closure of the investigation file without…

Read More

An American national has been arraigned in a Malindi court on charges of sexually assaulting a sixteen-year-old girl. Alexander Antoine Ziegler appeared before Malindi Resident Magistrate Nkrunnah Namnyak but did not take plea after investigation officers asked the court to allow them to hold the suspect for five days to complete investigations. In a miscellaneous application, Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officer John Otieno claimed that the foreigner was under investigations on allegations of defiling young girls at his residence in Jimba in the outskirts of the tourist resort town of Watamu in Kilifi County. Mr Otieno said the suspect…

Read More